Thursday, February 26, 2009

Think Pink! A Valentines tradition

One tradition that we have continued on in our family is the special Valentines breakfast. This started when Jeff was young and his mom would make the family a pink breakfast...eggs, grits, pancakes, you name it! After celebrating this tradition every year with Jeff's family before we had kids, I have continued it in our own home since the kids were born.

After a few not-so-appetizing eggs and grits attempts on my part (I have discovered that yellow food mixed with red coloring will NOT make pink...no matter how many drops of food coloring I put in, but it DOES make things taste really gross-I think Jeff's mom always opted for a slight pink tinge while I was trying to go for the real deal), I have resolved to only make pink pancakes. The are much easier to make and a little easier to swallow (ha!) than the other stuff.

This year, Jeff's mom brought her waffle iron so we had a mix of pink waffles and pink heart-shaped pancakes (thanks to Daddy's creativity!) with strawberries and bacon on the side (well, Valentine colors ARE pink and red) and it was YUMMY! The kids really love this tradition, I hope it keeps on going!

Renee enjoyed her first (well, last year, she wasn't eating solid foods) V-day breakfast!

Daddy helps Ava cut up her pink heart pancakes!

Zach filled his belly and cleaned his plate!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love this idea! I tried making pink heart shaped french toast using cookie cutters but it didn't work. I will have to remember this next year!

khuck said...

I love this too...I may steal it to become a Marschke Family treat too!!