Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Monday Memories...on Wednesday

I purposely waited til today to post this memory because today is Zachary's 4th birthday! Mama is having mixed emotions over this event...I am a bit sad because my baby boy is growing up but yet, I am happy that he is 4! I cannot tell you how fast the past four years have gone by, it's so unreal to me. I vividly remember the night I found out I was pregnant with him (December 1, 2003, almost 5 years ago!!!!!) and how wonderful it was to be pregnant with our first child. We chose not to find out from the ultrasound if he was a boy or girl but I think I knew from the beginning he was a boy (I think it was all the citrus I craved and apparently, Holton women crave that when expecting a boy!). My original due date was August 8th but he decided to come 9 days early which was just fine with me. At 9:47am on July 30, 2004, our precious Zachary Thomas was born! I remember just holding him and trying to imagine what he was going to look like as he grew up...and here he is at 4.


The past four years have been such a learning experience for us. We both remember so well the first day home from the hospital when it was time for Zach's first diaper change and he peed and pooped all over us! We both panicked and were running all over the house to get things to clean it up! We love to laugh at that one! Now, our boy wears underwear and goes potty all by himself. He has gone from having hypotonia (weak muscle tone) in his legs which required PT to help him learn to walk at 18 months to now running, jumping and doing all sorts of things normal 4 year olds do.


Zachary has a sweet spirit, so kind and loving to others. He is very thoughtful and has the most vivid, wild imagination we have ever seen. Every day is an adventure for him and he loves to have fun and make people smile. His vocabulary just blows us away and he is learning things so fast, it really is neat watching him learn and teach Ava new things too. He loves Star Wars, army stuff, pirates and building huge, elaborate towers with his building blocks. He loves hearing all sorts of stories and books, loves to watch "Little Bear" and "Blue's Clues" but mostly, he loves to create his own stories and adventures.


Zach is such a good big brother to Ava, although they do squabble frequently (what siblings don't?), they play so well together and he teaches her so much. He also has a special tenderness for Renee and has even given her one of his beloved "Puppy"s! He loves to call her "Baby" and whenever he hears her start to fuss, he considers it his job to cheer her up (which he always does!).


So, to our sweet son who is a great blessing to us from God and who has blessed us these past four years, we wish you a very happy birthday! You are still and will always be our baby!



Love at first sight



His very first smile, thanks to Uncle Jason


The best baby


His first birthday...he was so clean and careful, the adults were the ones who painted up his face with icing!




A rare, serious look


His 2nd birthday party, he was crazy about Thomas the Tank Engine, he could name them all...I asked him today if he knew the names of the trains and he had no idea...



My sweet baby


His 3rd birthday party (Army theme that he picked out himself) when he got his Barney Bear, thanks Gaga and Papaw


I love this picture of Zach last August at the beach


Almost 4 years old and so grown up (and also standing up peeing in this picture, he asked me to take it so I could see what a big boy he is!!!) Yes, indeed.

1 comment:

khuck said...

Happy Birthday to Zach....hard to believe that little peanut in photo one is that same one standing and peeing (does he give lessons on aim? Mr. Todd may need to sign up...ahem!). Great Monday/Wednesday Memory!!!

Kate